View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 01:35 AM   #21 (permalink)
blueflame
Master EcoModder

Warm up times vary according to ambient temps, speed, incline, load, vehicle type, coolant condition and ratio of water to glycol, driving technique......

I duct 100% intake air from the top of the exhaust manifold, reducing this ratio when climbing mountains in the height of summer. At the top of the mountain I pop the bonnet and change back to fully heated air.

Thanks almightybmw! regarding rev-matching.... I have only driven older auto trannys, mostly pre 95' Toyota diesels. Newer technology auto's must have varying performance characteristics.

Cd: maybe you should seek corroboration for your model of vehicle, and determine the level of engine braking (a rev counter showing high engine speeds with no throttle while moving means neutral will save gas), will guage what could be gained, by using neutral while moving.

That said, I usually flicked to neutral in my previous autos, but only when a neutral glide would be sustained for a reasonable amount of time and distance, which can occur descending even a minor incline.

Last edited by blueflame; 01-25-2009 at 01:48 AM.. Reason: accuracy