View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Bicycle Bob
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
FYI, there's a pipeline that carried oil from Oklahoma to Chicago for many years. Now, it flows the other way.

I've debated the merits of electric bikes with the best experimenters, but as a long-time cyclist, I'm most concerned with pedal feedback. My friend built an electric motorcycle with a pedal generator, but it was only 50% efficient. On a mechanical bike, I sense the efficiency and acceleration directly, which helps encourage my best effort. An exercycle - like rig is not as inspiring, if it just helps extend a battery range.

A twist-grip control on an electric bike just makes it feel like a woefully underpowered motorcycle. However, the same motor with a pedal-effort sensor makes you feel like bionic man.
So, I really like the idea of making the pedal power integral to an electric power train. However, I think that the same effect and efficiency can be had just using controllers on existing hardware instead of developing a special unit. The force sensor could shift a mechanical transmission for optimum leg efficiency, if you want an automatic transmission, and still let us sense the change of cadence between shifts.