View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 08:12 PM   This thread is in the EcoModder Project Library | #1 (permalink)
sepp
EcoModding Lurker

the jeep - '02 nissan kingcab
Last 3: 29.07 mpg (US)
nissan kingcab aerocap

here is the WIP of the aerocap im making for my nissan pick up.

it is made out of a solid wooden frame and covered with thin 3mm mdf panels.
i designed the plans by making a 3d model using google sketchup, it really helps alot when you have plans of wich you know they are 100% correct, as it is rounded from every side it would be impossible to draw accurate plans by hand.

as the surface is not 100% smooth i decided to smooth it out using plaster, time will tell if that was a good idea.

next is to sand the surface smooth and then cover it with something to make it solid and watertight. i was thinking of fiberglass sheets covered with epoxy resin. the problem is that i have lots of fiberglass, but can't find any epoxy or polyester resins over here in belgium.
all i could find was 1.5 liter of epoxy resin for making walls watertight, not sure if that will work and i doubt it is enough (ive done a small test today on a peice of mdf, will see tomorrow if it works)
any suggestions are welcome!

another problem is that i had to leave the vehicle outside for 1 night with the wooden frame on it, i had covered it with a plastic seal anchored with heavy stuff, but there was a heavy storm that night and in the morning the wood was soked. the result is that the wood has expanded and i cannot lift the cap off the bed anymore as long as it's wet, because it is fixed with 4 long bolts and the wood has expanded so they are impossible to remove atm.

since i took those pics this moring, i have already filled all the holes in the front of the vehicle with metal sheets, except for the grill.

by removing the mud flaps, the roof lights and by adding an aluminium bed cover, i have already gone from 10 to 8.7 liter/100 km

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 002.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	2612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 001.jpg
Views:	763
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	2613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 003.jpg
Views:	668