View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
tasdrouille
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
If you have only one kid, I really don't see why you need more than a standard midsize sedan.

When my wife and I got our boy, we had an Aveo. We got the only stroller on the local market that was not and umbrella stroller and would fit in the trunk of the Aveo, a Peg Perego Pliko P3. Great stroller btw. All the possibly needed baby gear was kept in a single shoulder bag.

The stroller was taking all of the trunk space. On day to day trips this was not much of a problem since there was still plenty of space on the seats to put grocery or shopping bags.

Weekend trips to visit family were a problem with all the luggage though. We then bought a roof rack and an 18 cube feet cargo roof box. It's amazing all the stuff that will go in there, especially since its shape makes the volume much more usable than a usual car trunk.

We then switched to an Elantra when our boy needed a phase 2 car seat. The phase 2 seat in the Aveo would have forced any passenger to sit behind the driver, which is very impractical. We don't need the cargo box much anymore, only for week long camping trips.

Does all this available cargo space justify the premium you're paying over a smaller vehicle?

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...