View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
GooberPea
EcoModding Lurker

More smaller batteries vs. Less bigger batteries

I have two motorcycles, an '81 Suzuki GS850 and a 2001 Buell Blast. I'm considering converting one of these to electric.

It seems to me that you can only fit 2 to 4 "normal" size batteries in the space normally occupied by the engine/transmission. I don't really want to resort to hanging them off the sides like a saddlebag.

It also seems to me that if the batteries were half the size, I could fit more than twice as many on the bike. For example, the Blast has a plastic shell over the actual gas tank. I think I could fit a battery under that once the tank is gone. It also has the muffler mounted under the frame. If I could find batteries that were only 4-5 inches thick, I could put some where the muffler used to live. I imagine I could fit one under the pillion too, if memory serves. I'm in Wisconsin and it's in storage right now, so I'm working from memory.

But you see my point, right? I could fit MAYBE 3 normal size batteries. But if the batteries were half the size I'm pretty sure I could fit more than 6, possibly 8 or 10.

Are there physically smaller batteries that would provide more usable power assuming you can fit a greater quantity in the vehicle?

Thanks for your responses, I'm quite interested to hear what you all think.