View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
mikemoss
EcoModding Lurker

Grand Prix - '98 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 21.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akashic View Post
Am I correct to assume that this mod should benefit y'all's little racecars a lot more than a truck that's made for towing?
No, longer intake runners mean more torque. Early gm efi truck motors had some awkwardly long intake runner length, like 12 inches or something maybe more, so they would make more torque but the length of the runners made it so the air could not go through the intake fast enough to allow the engine to spin much higher then 5000 rpm.

So a truck made for towing should benefit more bc of the added torque. If adding at the throttle body has the same effect.

Im not sure if anyone really knows if adding a throttle body spacer really does anything, a carb spacer is different and there are definitely gains there. Some people claim gains from a tb spacer and others dont I think it just kind of depends on the motor.

Good idea on using the cutting board I think that once it warms up a bit i will try this and do some testing to see if it makes a difference on my car. I have used cutting boards on my car for a different purpose but it wasnt for fuel economy. I used them to make strut spacers, I havent gotten them yet bc it got cold but I think they should work.