View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
It wouldn't do much of anything... you're not dealing with airflow, you're dealing with a line that has no air in it. The vacuum doesn't "travel" anywhere.

If you want to test the theory, remove any vacuum line on your car, and test how long it takes for vacuum in the line to change with throttle differences. Remove a smaller line, then a larger line, and you'll see the same result. Statistical variances occur, but not enough to create any real data changes.

Since the diaphragm (and the throttle linkage) have springs in them, which create a certain tension, the vacuum diaphragm must have enough vacuum to create more pull than the equivalent of both springs. Since the entire system is already under vacuum, it doesn't require moving air, therefore restriction doesn't apply. (Except restriction that would not allow flow at all... a different story altogether.)

With that said, maybe you should try it anyhow... maybe I'm wrong! It's happened before.. better yet, there may be something I'm not taking into account. Even more likely to happen.

I did manage to find out yesterday that if you stick the brake booster hose into a metal SeaFoam can, it will instantly crush the can's sides. Which means that as a vacuum pump, your engine is pretty strong.