View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 04:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Here in Poland (as in most countries in northern and mid-eastern Europe) cars are required to have their lights on during the day (until recently this was only in winter months, now it's year round). The opponents of this don't believe in the safety arguments, but are complaining about how much fuel is being wasted. When driving during the day, not only are the headlights on, but also parking lights (front and rear), dash and licence plate lights. Also, the dash lights are in dark mode, as they should be only at night. Some people drive around with only their parking lights (saving a few watts from the headlights), but this makes them harder to see in a string of cars with headlights.
A remedy for this would be LED DRLs. Polish law allows these, but only with rear parking lights. European law (which is stronger) doesn't say anything about rear lights. So it is unclear whether rear parking lights must be on with DRLs or not. Anyway, European law states that DRLs must turn on automaticly with the engine and cannot be hooked up to any manual switches. Also, they must turn off when headlights are switched on. This means that if you EOC (which is probably illegal pretty much everywhere), then your DRLs turn off.
I'm thinking about buying some LED DRLs (here they cost at least $30, but legal ones around $60 per pair) and using only them during the day. Plus maybe a switch to keep them on if I start to EOC. I'll have a printout of the European law to show to any police officer who stops me for not having rear lights.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread