View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
almightybmw
Custom User Title

Daily Driver - '02 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 18.45 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveedo View Post
I'd agree with all of that but politely question the last bit about gears. It could be a typo in the source your got it from cause 4x4s almost always tend to have lower gears (higher numerically) than 2x4s. Usually to account for more weight and larger tires the manufacturer will want the motor to rev a little higher at the same speed than the 2x4 which doesn't have to deal with the weight/tire issues. I would guess those two numbers are backwards. Or the numbers could be for an auto vs a manual transmission (alot of times the auto's have different gearing to account for a difference in efficiency).
I totally agree. My 95 Sonoma runs 3.73 gears, the 2WD runs 3.43 gears. With larger tires you need a numerically higher gearing to maintain the same ratio. So the 2WD with 235/75 vs 4WD 31x10.5, both run the same rpm for given speed.

In a solid front axle 4WD you can disengage the hubs, so that no extra parts are moving. 90% of you mileage loss from 2WD to 4WD are stance and higher weight.
In a independent front suspension (IFS) I don't have locking hubs, it locks in at the differential. So I'm always spinning the axleshafts, and when I engage 4WD it connects the axles to the 4WD differential.

I'm looking into a SAS (solid axle swap) and a Cummins QB3.3T. 300ftlbs, with proper gearing on 33" tires, a couple different guys have gotten 34mpg highway. One guy just finished his and first tank was 27mpg, with lots of excessive throttle (gotta enjoy it!). Just need to find all the parts for relatively cheap. Could probably find the motor for under $2000, axles with lockers for under $2000.