View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
rwyler
Ecomodder "Lite"

Redbox - '86 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 37.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Hello and welcome to the site. You'll really want to look at our two lists here:

For modifications:
60+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

For large gains and a little extra effort on your part:
100+ hypermiling / ecodriving tips to increase gas mileage - EcoModder.com
I've read all of those and can see the value in most of those points, but is there anything that would be particularly helpful in relation to this particular car?

For example: The transmission ratios give it some "pep" but also some pretty short legs on the highway. Does anyone know of an easy swap, or even a gearing change that can be done with junkyard parts? Could I oversize the tires to reduce rpms, or would that bring it's own problems to the table?

The aerodynamics seem pretty bad, but there's not much I can do about that without making it hideous or spending a lot of money.
Would lowering it help (it's pretty low, it would scrape on things if lowered)?
Would blocking the airflow to the engine help (it seems like it's pretty well blocked as-is)? If so, do I block the "grill" vents or the "facia" vents? What about making movable louvers that I could open in hot weather and close in cold weather? Had that been done?
Would a K&N or cold-air type intake help (I have my doubts, the stock intake isn't particularly restrictive)?

I guess I'm just looking for tips tailored to this type of car, and I figure that there is a lot of specific advice for a small 4 cylinder hatchback from the 80's on this site.