View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
rwyler
Ecomodder "Lite"

Redbox - '86 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 37.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
the 1985-1987 hf tranny will fit, the 1984-1987 dx and base model tranny will fit to and only give you slightly better gearing then you have, but not nearly as high as the HF but you should find out if your engine feels ok running at 1,500-2,000 rpm, just try it, shift in to 5th gear in town.
I would not mess with the vacuum lines other then replace them with new lines, removing them or the emissions equipment on these cars tends to kill mileage, performance and over heat the engine till it dies.
I have a passenger side mirror delete from my '84 civic hatch that I am willing to part with for $5 plus shipping if you can wait till the weather is above freezing.
No one ever changes the pcv valve (under the intake manifold on the other models), or tranny fluid (every other year!), wide tires are commen but a set of 13" rims with 155/80 R13 tires would be best for mileage.
If you need any parts, I have a '84 dx that was rear ended on the drivers side, still has alot of good part, time + shipping, I also have the PDF of the dealer shop manual at my web siteRight Here check it out.
It's still got the stock rims in suprisingly good condition, with some newer Hancook cheap-o tires installed. Once they wear out, I'll probably try to get some lighter alloys in the same size and run the tire size you recommend.

Excellent information, thanks. I'll take the mirror delete, just PM me the payment details whenever you get a chance to remove it.

Do you know much about jumpy idle problems in these cars? When I bought it, the idle was all kinds of erratic. I cleaned out the throttle body and intake manifold with carb cleaner (without removing the throttle body) which helped a LOT, but I've heard that to truly cure a jumpy idle you need to remove and seriously clean the idle air control valve. Do you have any experience with this?

One part I can think of from the 84 DX that I definately need is the shift linkage, if it would fit correctly (4 speed vs. 5 speed?). The front bushings on mine are shot, but they're rivetted into the clevis joint and seem to be non-replacable. I'm going to try and replace the rivet with a long bolt to "tighten" up the bushings and reduce play, but that will only last so long until the linkage becomes 100% unusable. What kind of shape is yours in? Also, you wouldn't happen to have any leads on rear speaker panels for a 84-87 hatchback model would you?

Also, if you can remove the dome light cover without breaking the tabs off (easier said than done apparently), I'll take it too. The previous owner must have preferred to remove trim pieces with a jackhammer.