View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
getting the rear springs out is real easy. Take the 2 bolts off the strut tower. Don't take the center bolt off or it will take hours to line it back up! Then just jack the car up and the springs will fall out. All the hoses and stuff have plenty of play to let the wheel go down a foot or two.

I have a pile of metro springs here I will try and get out and measure once this last big snowstorm passes through to make sure the fronts will fit on the back end and how much longer they actually are. I am pretty sure they are bout 3 inches longer than the rear but I will measure them to make sure.

A really easy option would be to find a cheap set of spring rubbers and put them on top of the springs in the upper pockets. The springs will probably bind before it bottoms out but it should give you a bit more travel than it has now. If you have an old tire you could cut some donuts the same diameter of the springs and put them on top of the coil in the pocket. Just keep stacking them till you get it as thick as you want it. That way it doesn't cost anything to try other than a jigsaw blade or two to cut the donuts out.