View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #43 (permalink)
mikemoss
EcoModding Lurker

Grand Prix - '98 Pontiac Grand Prix SE
90 day: 21.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNANS View Post
Hello All
As far as cleaning up carbon deposits and preventing buildup, all you have to do is see a cylinder head of a car that has blown a gasket, allowing the water jacket cooling water into the cylinder...clean as a whistle, ask any mechanic!!!
Water injection itself helps by absorbing the heat in the combustion gases to turn into steam. Everyone knows that water itself has a high latent heat of evaporation...less heat thrown out into the exhaust gases and water jacket means more efficiency. Normally only about 15% of the available energy is used to drive the car, the other 85% or so goes out the exhaust or coolant.
So How does the steam help?
from data derived from WWII aircraft and literature I have read, the steam pressure
(sort of steam engine like) adds to the BMEP (brake mean effective pressure) of the exisisting , burning air fuel charge to force the piston down. The figures I have consistently found are 20-25% of the amount of fuel being used at any given moment. The anti detonant property is already well established. More water than this will not work, ie snuff out the flame front or get mixed in with the oil....one should be well aware of the dangers as someone so rightly pointed out. With regards to WWII aircraft the systems were very simple because unlike cars, these warbirds used their maximum power at a fixed WOT throttle setting in dogfights. In cars there will need to be a proper metering system to realize its full potential, as well as a cutoff during the warming up cycle. If any one would like the references please contact me
The Articles for the voltage controlled DC water pumps are definitely worth a try, but make sure the water is injected downstream of the Hot wire MAF to prevent the platinum wire in the MAF from suffering an untimely death!
Cheers
What you said about the wot steady rpm thing got me thinking. bc 90 percent of my driving is highway cruising at 2000 rpm it would probably be easier for me to make a system that I just turn on when I get on the highway or wire it into the cruise control.

dremd

how did you alter the flow of water with fuel?

Everyone keeps talking about putting the injector before the throttle blade. Would it not work if you put it after the throttle blade? I was just thinking that it would be a lot sturdier in an aluminum intake manifold vs a flexible rubber hose.

The biggest thing I see is that it could cost too much to do. If I can put together a full parts list of stuff I will need and go to the junkyard it could be possible to do it on a low enough budget to make testing worth while though.