View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
rwyler
Ecomodder "Lite"

Redbox - '86 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 37.46 mpg (US)
How to test A/C in cold weather? Should I just remove it?

I recently bought an 86 Civic Hatchback Si, and it came with air conditining that the previous owner says "works". It's been below freezing here in KY for weeks, so I haven't had a chance to test it out. If it truly does work, I want to keep it for the summer months. If it doesn't, it's going to go in the trash.

How can I test and see if it works in the winter?

I'd like to just remove it personally, but my wife wants to keep it. How much FE savings could I reasonably see from taking it off? I know the whole system probably weighs about 40 lbs, and there's another belt and pulley on the engine that doesn't need to be there. But with it turned off, how much is it really hurting me? What all is actually turning since the A/C clutch is disengaged? Along the same lines, could I just take the belt off during the winter and realize some gains? I'm not sure if this would cause damage to the compressor though since it would just sit there all winter getting full of slush and salt without spinning any of it out. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!