Thread: LED Headlight
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 03:51 AM   #26 (permalink)
blackjackel
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '05 toyota corolla LE
90 day: 28.91 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to blackjackel Send a message via MSN to blackjackel Send a message via Yahoo to blackjackel
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslug View Post
Typical automotive halogens output 1500 lumens per bulb at 55 watts.

1,000mcd = 1 candela = 1 lumen. So a 55,000mcd LED is only 55 lumens.

to get 1,500 lumens you will need 30 of those 55 lumen LEDs per headlight, but you will only get the same intensity level if you have optics to go with the array, or make the array so that the LEDs are focused to converge at an ideal distance. If you can find the datasheet for those LEDs it will tell you want the drop-off distance is for their output.

You may not be able to replace your automotive high beams with LEDs, but fog lamps or running lights are very possible.
I rarely use my high beams, if ever... I can't think of a single instance since I first started driving that I've actually NEEDED to use high beams... The closest incident was when I Was driving a 4x4 in bumf*ck nowhere in costa rica and there wasn't a light in sight (pitch black) but even then the low beams were just fine.

So you're saying the average HIGH beams are 1500 lumens or the average LOW beams? I would love to know both answers. Also, what do you mean by "intensity level" and "optics" ?

Also, I calculated that If I were to do 1500 lumens then the LED's would draw approximately 4 watts of power, are my calculations correct or am I way off? How much would they draw at 1500 lumens?