View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 04:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
botsapper
PSmodder lurker

Aero cab covers

I'm following closely & with interest, 'aerocap' designs for pickup trucks. Open bed trucks are still a very large portion vehicles on the road. Primarily used for one's livelihood and partly for recreational use. I believe as almost everyone in this forum that such aero-accessories are badly needed for efficiency and cost savings. Unfortunately as seen by comments of many 'enthusiast owners' in other truck forums, they are seen as fugly & unmanly. There is a palpable stigma of eco-modding and hybridizing this segment. Acceptance will take interim design steps and presently aero-efficiency design lines do not have popular favor. As seen in unpopular single curve 2007 Taurus 'aero' roof line will be replaced by a more formal 2010 three-line roof line.

Example of interim evolution- aerocap:
Nissan Introduces Navara Aventura X-Back - Carscoop

80's aero Ford studies, GM's EV1 & Honda's first-gen Insight have shown & proven highly efficient forms but the market's slow acceptance killed the early experiments. The painfully slow gestation of Smarts has had over a decade of exposure. Will the (new exotic design language - beautiful) Aptera have the same freshman stigma? The (unfortunately with a dying buzz) Tesla is at least wrapped in recognizable Lotus skin. I applaud eco-modders individual efforts. Such (growing) auto sub-culture akin to rat rodders and various niche tuners. That's why multi-flavor SEMA exists. They all soon contribute to the evolving shape of the mainstream. Hopefully sooner than later.