View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Baby Beluga
Baby Beluga

I just had my ZAP Xebra pk delivered yesterday..I have watched these for about 2.5 years since I first read about them. Although I know that there will be better, more "normal" looking options come out in the future, I decided that I just had to get started with making a statement about refusal to play the "gas and the Big 3" game. I will keep my wonderful Eurovan with 208,000 miles and 18mpg condition for special assignments like mountain excursions and camping, but the Xebra is PERFECT for my 15 mile RT commute to work and errands like the grocery store and hauling bags of horsefeed. If anyone has special "tips" on using your ZAP that you think would benefit a new owner, please let me know!

By the way, in Colorado, it is rated as a regular passenger car/light truck (the license needs to be specially mounted because it is bigger than the bumper) - and after communicating EXTENSIVELY with the Department of Revenue DMV, I have convinced them that it therefore cannot be called an NEV - which has excluded it from any possibility of the Colorado Alternative Fuel Tax Credit provisions. They are currently figuring out how to word this special class of vehicles that are 40mph and legal on city streets (unlike NEVs) and how to calculate the Tax Credit (other vehicles are calculated on their additional expense compared to a total gas equivalent vehicle). I hope we will get some "credit" for being the pioneers in cleaning up the environment by sacrificing our big gas guzzlers until the rest of the auto industry has a cost-effective true plug-in that the "middle class" can afford. Oh, yes, I put the solar panel on my ZAP truck - does anyone else have this and has it added any benefit to your charge?