View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
mobilerik
TacoModder

rik's prerunner - '03 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab TRD 4A
90 day: 29.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daqcivic View Post
Some way of measuring instantaneous fuel consumption would be wonderful, but I am not aware of a way to do that with an OBD-I vehicle. The next best thing seems to be a vacuum gauge, and I'm definitely considering getting one, but there isn't necessarily a precise relationship between manifold pressure fuel consumption.

The "finer points" I am most interested at this point are the numbered items in my post, that is, whether it is better to gradually build load during acceleration through a gear or to keep load steady the whole time, and whether it is better to give priority to smoothness or quickness during shifting, P>G, and G>P transitions.

What I'm trying to get at is, given that you've learned the ideal acceleration and P&G schemes for best FE, how do you refine your technique further?

Anyone out there with a 92-95 Civic DX/LX who's got P&G nailed?
If you're interested splitting hairs, you need to be able to see them. The mpguino is what you want. It's for pre-OBDii cars, and it's all over this site. Without one, you're like a competitive sprinter without a stopwatch or a standardized track. You need the instantaneous feedback. Right now, even if your tank miles are going up since you started P&G, you can't conclusively know that it was the P&G that helped. One reputable ultra-hypermiling member with a Civic, after installing his mpguino, reported that he got WORSE mpgs with P&G. You really need the feedback to sort any of this out.