View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
sepp
EcoModding Lurker

the jeep - '02 nissan kingcab
Last 3: 29.07 mpg (US)
how do you mean a lid?

i don't think i can do any tuft testing myself, but it's certainly something to look for in the future when i may be doing modifications that are less certain to work compared to all the other more obvious changes.
but today the higway was completely soaked, and i watched the watercloud created at the rear verry carefully. at first point it looks less large than before, and it seems like the water is kicked up, and when it reaches the height of the cap it stops. while before it used to go much higher. i also noticed the cloud seems less turbulent, it sort of keeps the same shape while before it used to be verry unstable. this is all verry promising, and just the smoother feeling you get while driving is great.

another thing i noticed with the watercloud is that it seems to start behind the rear wheel, where it strangely jumps out to the side about half a meter away from the side.

i noticed that the frontally incoming air hits all 4 tires above their centerline, wich means that the top layer (wich i suppose is more dense) gets directed over the tire and has to travel through the well. so i think that making triangular air diverters in front of the tires to lead the air to the sides of the tires will greatly help along with wheel flaps and rim caps.