View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 04:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilden View Post
Ah, interesting, I thought you could set it up so you had a string of 52.4 in series which then leads to the 37 in parallel, rather than making a giant square of batteries as you are suggesting. My knowledge is somewhat lacking on the subject, but this would mean that you would only need 90odd batteries, rather than nearly 2000.

Here's a quick paint job of that I mean, sorry about the quality, my brain doesnt work at these times (7am here in the UK). In this case you're looking at spending only about 23 packs*£5 which is £115.
Not quite sure where you're going with this, but it doesn't look fruitful. I'll admit my schematic reading is somewhat poor so I haven't a clue what your diagram represents. (I see a bunch of diodes?). Remember that even if you artificially raise the voltage, to draw 1 amp at 72v requires drawing 48 amps at 1.5v

To get to a goal of 72 volts, you would actually need 48 batteries, wired in series. This would give you a pack with a spec of 72v, at 2.7 Ah. (I'm assuming you meant the batteries you can get are 2.7 Ah). This certainly won't get you far, as it's only ~194 Wh. Perhaps it would get a small motorcycle up to 30mph before running out of juice.

Any proper electric car is going to require at least 5 KWh, so if you need ~5 packs to reach 1 KWh, you'll need 25 packs to reach 5 KWh. That's 1,200 batteries, for just 5 KWh. And that still won't take you very far.

Using small batteries is certainly going to allow more flexibility for pack size and placement, but there's no free lunch. You're going to use A LOT MORE smaller batteries than larger ones.