View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Big Dave
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
I feel your pain, dude. I too have a wood stove. It is an old fisher Papa Bear. Good stove ā€“ excellent quality materials and workmanship. Problem is that it was designed and sized for the house before I did the Bob Vila thing to the house. Before I renovated the stove was OK in the great room. But the house was almost completely uninsulated, so when I renovated, I insulated the house like a thermos bottle. Now the Papa Bear runs me out on all but below-zero days. The stove has so much heat transfer area (stove is about the size of a desk) that if you build a small fire it goes out ā€“ snuff by heat removal. If you build a fire that stands up to the heat removal you have a blast furnace and it runs me out of my well-insulated great room. This rascal is quite capable of eating up a cord of firewood in four days if I could get the heat to the rest of the house.
What Iā€™m thinking of doing is welding some PlateCoil http://us.tranter.com/phe/platecoil/platecoil.htm onto the back and side of the stove. I would use a hydronic pump to move water heated in the PlateCoil to coils under my bathroom floor. Or alternatively a fan coli unit in some other room. I have a basement so this is easy work.

Just a matter of moving the heat where you want it.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam