View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #393 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brihoo2k View Post
Nice work Paul also thats a sweet mill. I also have a mill but it is a speedway series mini mill that I got from homier for considerably less but is perfectly capable of doing everything I need it to. I also have a speedway series 7"x12" mini lathe. These mini machine tools sold by homier, harbor frieght, commings, grizzly were all made by the same company in china. There are tons of upgrades that can be done to these machines like turning them into cnc or making a dro out of a set of cheap digital calipers. Also I would sugest getting a set of collets for your mill as that jacobs chuck is better suited for drilling action than side force put on it from milling. Im looking forward to seeing your progress in the pwm controller.
Thanks! I looked up collets on Ebay.

Collets!

Do those look OK? I have an R8 spindle. Also, what else do I need? It seems like those go inside something that clamps them around the mill bits. All my mill came with was that "jacobs chuck" (I didn't know it had a special name). Thank you for your help! I'm definitely making this thing a CNC later. Holy cow it's a lot of work keeping track of how many 0.1" turns I'm doing. hehe.

-Paul