View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
botsapper
PSmodder lurker

Shape-shifting concept

Rinspeed iChange Concept Revealed with Video - worldcarfans

Adaptive aerodynamics has been put to great use for Rinspeed iChange (rather not linked name to said electronic marketing name, could easily stand on its own). The design language for new hybrid/electric/alt vehicle designs does not have to be preset and look like the iconic Prius (see disappointingly & unimaginative Honda Insight). I hope the Aptera does not suffer EV-1-itis and fade as a faddish phenomenon with it's all or nothing proposition. Unfortunately, mainstream aero-design has to pay its dues to the buying public. The Rinspeed concept has its requisite wheel bulges & well-proportioned (Coke-bottle) swimsuit model shape. It might be a bit exaggerated compared to its classic tear-drop clear roof. A great view is from the rear 3/4 view. My opinion, best boat tail-like iteration. The front face a tad fussy (license plate holder?) but devoid of any cooling/venting requirements. The expected clear wheel covers still exposes the engineered five spoke forged wheels. The rear wheel cover is designed to properly follow body character lines. Strangely bulky rear mirrors though. But the adaptive passenger cell is its calling card. It's tri-seating config is reminiscent of Mclaren FI but it becomes more aero efficient for solo driving (hope it doesn't become outlawed in the future). I'm still right-brained and hope for beautiful things (unlike repetitive anal designs) to come.