View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
We gots the opposite of that.

It's common for hicks in pickups to stop right in the middle of the street/road when they see a fellow hick they want to talk to. Yup- don't even pull over to the side- smack dab in the middle.

Stroll through a parking lot here in the winter. It is FILLED with running vehicles. They run for long periods of time. Gee it must be hard work to hand crank those big V8s. What? All you have to do is turn a key? Who knew!

Sometimes there is somebody sitting in them. Smokers on break from work run out to the parking lot and sit in their idling cars for the whole break. Lunch time too. Yeah.

Not that our drivers ain't healthy. They must eat a lot of carrots! Well I don't know, they must have exceptional night vision here; I've never seen a town where so many drive around at night with the lights off.

They're prescient too. No need to use the turn signals, ever. Well, maybe once in a while... after yer already haff-way into the turn.

Getting back to parking lots- gotta love the ones that have rows where the spots are somewhat diagonal. When the paint lines are covered with snow the lines of cars... er, I mean pickups and suvs- get pretty funky. Appears to me there is a serious mass depth perception problem here. Ain't a whole lot better in the summer when the lines are visible.

P.S. another classic maneuver is: when you go to yer friend's house, do not get out and ring the doorbell. Lay on the horn until they FINALLY come out.
^Thats the locals here. Except not so much running cars in the big parking lots, but at every gas station at least half of them are still running. The lunch thing I see all the time. And the pickups talking in the middle of the road, and losing parts when they're not stopped.

Then we got the people flooding up here from the big cities like Detroit, Chicago, etc. who are generally aggressive speed demons with a nasty attitude. Many times they outnumber us.

A tough combination.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver