View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
I agree - I think Geonerd has a point in general, that many people, "joe sixpack" would benefit far more by making better habitual improvements like slow/low rpm acceleration, driving 55 on the hwy, or getting instrumentation - the "safe" things. I however think that this is a place more geared to going to the extreme - ecoMODDING, modifying not only your habits, but going to the extreme enough to actually modify your own vehicle to get that 1% better MPG. With that spirit in mind, EOC and shutting your engine off at lights is irrefutably significant in a community where people make their cars look like space shuttles, push their cars around parking lots, and make killswitches for their engines. The "extreme" of shutting off your car at stop lights is nowhere near as extreme as some of the other things people do. It may not be for everyone, and not worth suggesting to some, but I think this is a place where joe sixpack need not apply, and it's reasonable to suggest such methods.

When talking to joe sixpack, however, I probably wouldn't go suggesting EOC and shutting the engine off at lights right away.