View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
MazdaMatt
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
That is VERY close to to the one I've got. It is called a "firefly" and any googling that i did tells me that they were pretty much only available at the CNE in Toronto (Canadian National Exhibit, big fair). It looks like a crude modification. There is a seat post and the hole cut in the deck to accomidate has not been deburred. Anyway, I didn't charge it and i just ran it around my messy basement for a bit. It had a hard time getting started, but would certainly assist a good push - probably just due to uncharged batts.

On to the fun stuff - it is driven by a MY68 100W 24V 2300RPM motor that is about 4 inches long and 3 inches wide. I would assume it has a 24V pack, but i havn't cracked it open to find out what type of batteries or control. It has an on/off switch and a crank handle throttle.

Step 1 - charge it and test it.
Step 2 - take it appart... i'll let you know when i get this far (very busy doing renos on the house)
Step 3 - examine the control system. If i am looking at a simple battery to pot to motor, then i'm ripping it up and making a PWM drive for it to get longer range and more power. A super-simple mosfet, diode, pwm system is cake - i already have a board with a coldfire mpu on it and some i/o headers.

System goal - take the scooter with a backpack to get groceries.

Last edited by MazdaMatt; 02-17-2009 at 09:14 AM..