View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
DAN
EcoModding Lurker

engineering study of three wheelers

Jimmy Carter's Dep of Transportation paid for a testing and engineering study of three wheelers . A motorcycle magazine did a good story on it. The magazine had a road test of a American made three wheeler that was broth by Harrley Davidson and sold at the dealers. They loved it. It had a flat twin motor from a front wheel drive car and drove with the front wheels. It was long and minimized weight shift . And it was wider than a small car so it could really corner. Some one sued and they stopped selling it. The Federal tests showed the two at the front was the safest for most. Al the roll resistance is at the end with 2 wheels so a 2 at the front under steered in a hard corner. I still want to make one. In the 60's i saw a mine car whose front end was used to make a road racing trike. the "Moge" was short and was raced like motorcycal with a side car.The English bikeies liked the idea of it but hated to race. I have a small front driver that I still want to make into a "Moge." Builders may want to think about the Harley one for street use. Or the Moge for fun. And find the motorcycle magazine.