View Single Post
Old 02-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
noeryan
EcoModding Lurker

Black Fit - '08 Honda Fit Sport
Project: 3D Driving Model

Hey guys!

I'm relatively new to EcoModder.com

I'm a student of Aerospace Engineering and have an idea that really doesn't encompass much more than Physics.

Ok so here we go.

I would like to develop a short program which provides driving information to accurately throttle the engine for optimum fuel efficiency.

The program would take into account:

Topography of Route
Vehicle Characteristics (Drag, Rolling Resistance, HP)
Route Characteristics (Stop Signs, Traffic Lights, Turns, etc.)

This would be used for routes that are normally driven by the user; which I believe are the majority of one's driving. From this knowledge of route, accurate distances (mapquest.com, google maps, etc.) can be calculated between each Route Marker (stop signs, etc.) along with a topographical map study to determine the gradient of the route (since most topo maps use 10 foot intervals, it would be fairly accurate).

Using all of this data, we could determine the amount of kinetic energy that would be needed to move the vehicle with its particular parameters the distance of the route with some limits of min and max velocity for the route.

Without explaining all of the details of the calculations...

I'd like the OUTPUT to be set to tell the user what velocity he/she should be driving at certain key "Checkpoints" along the route to ensure they are maintaining the proper velocity profile.

For example:
I have a route to school which has a series of hills of different heights and four red lights. I would input this route into the program and maybe even an online database. The program runs the analysis on the route and delivers the average MPG I should receive and distances in which I should be at certain velocities.

Maybe the Output at first could look like "Accelerate to 45 MPH until reaching the bottom of Hill #1. Consistently decelerate up Hill #2 until the top is reached at 35 MPH.."
Eventually I'd like to see a display that gives up and down arrows to tell the driver how far to push on the throttle... Maybe it could even get produced into its own cruise control which adjusts the throttle by itself just by uploading the route and having a GPS guided processor letting it know where in the route it is.

This is a long way down the road. The first attempt would just to get the algorithms to accurately produce data with simple routes.

I could explain more thought on the matter but I would like to know if anyone would be interested in helping with the project before I waste my finger strength typing out more details.

Thanks guys!