View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 01:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Bicycle Bob
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Riding a bike for all my errands is the only thing that has ever had me close to fit. It is the best way to get a workout with the minimum penalty in time and pain. I consider a bike better for spring and fall than for summer, due to the need for cooling, but with a booster, one can usually stay fresh. I'd definitely get a control that requires pedaling, not just a hand control. A separate switch makes it feel like a very feeble motorcycle, while the ones that amplify your pedal effort make you feel like Bionic Man. That, combined with the desire to stay with traffic, keep your mind off the workout.

If your legs get tired, shift down. If you run out of breath, shift up. If your butt gets sore, lean more on your hands, and get used to it, but don't neglect developing sores. Get a helmet with a mirror to keep track of traffic all around, and be as visible as you can, moving over to let traffic by after being seen, or riding in the "shadow" of a car close to the back fender. You might want to study bike handling and related traffic skills. There's a lot more to riding a bike well than balancing. I have a friend who broke her jaw and still does not know how dumb it was.