View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Unforgiven
EcoModding Apprentice

Impala - '04 Chevrolet Impala base
90 day: 32.84 mpg (US)
(quiet chuckle) As a professional tractor-trailer driver I can sympathize with the ongoing hash of comments about big trucks and all the "lack" of this, that, and the other. Certain companies are attempting to add side skirts on the trailers (and finding the hassle of the repairs as well) while certain others are even trying moon dish wheel covers. As I sit here in a truck stop in Dallas TX I look around and see none of that in here right now. Unfortunately there will never be a really good FE semi truck, for the simple reason of the truck's job... to pull a 48 or 53 foot brick loaded with upwards of 44,000 lbs down the highways, up the hills and even thru the mud of a sloppy backwoods warehouse. A few things have come about in the past years, like the weaning away of "cabover" style tractors for the more "conventional" units. Slowly the aeromodding of those tractors has yeilded some things like Freightliner's Cascadia, and International's ProStar series tractors. Some work on hybrid systems for FedEx and UPS show promise in the short haul/city markets, but are still ridiculously ineffective for the long haul trucking industry. Perhaps when we can develop a repulsor/suspensor lift system and allow the trailer to glide along air or magnetic waves can we then hook up those big trailers to the resurgent manufacture of Geo Metro's who will be able to pull them rofl.