View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
But the windshield can't be at the extreme front of the car... because then you can't access the engine to perform repairs. The engine can't be in the passenger compartment because of fumes from a poorly maintained one and because of noise/vibration (everyone wants a silent cabin).
^ Wonder if they still build full size vans this way?

This is the best example I can think of. I currently have the Pontiac version, and had one identical to this except different wheels.

Makes me wonder about something. If the teardrop is the best aero shape, would the reverse teardrop be the worst shape? Probably not really, a parachute would be worst, but I wonder how they would compare anyway.

I used to pull my 5x8 enclosed trailer with my 6000 wagon. It was both narrower and lower than the trailer. 3.1 engine. Pulling it was a breeze, literally. I could sail down the highway at 65 easily, could have done 70 if I wanted to.

Now with the van, towing it is a royal pain in the a$$. Same trailer. 3800 engine in the van, the van has a lot more power for its size. The van is only slightly lower and the same width as the trailer. I have a hard time maintaining even 55 on the highway. 65 is out of the question. It feels like a constant hammering wind gust about every second that is slowing me down drastically at anything over 45. I wonder if the aero of the van has anything to do with it, maybe it is trying to reattach the airflow quicker than the 6000 wagon, then the trailer has to break it apart again.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver

Last edited by wagonman76; 02-24-2009 at 01:20 PM..