View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
davidgrey50
Cogito Ergo Ecomod

Dobbin - '04 Dodge Dakota 3.7 V6 A/T
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm guessing this is a first bike, or a first bike for a long time. If this is the case, my first suggestion would be 'Don't buy a new one'. Most motorcycle models don't change that much from year to year (not all, most), and you can usually find something three or four years old with only a three or four thousand miles on it for about half the price of new. Last year I bought a 2003 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit with 5000 km (3000 miles) for $4800 Canadian, good as new. 2009's are $9,000, plus freight and PDI (another $1000), plus 12% taxes on a new bike, only 7% on used. You might change your mind in a year or two - let someone else take the hit on depreciation!

Secondly, what kind of riding will you be doing? The great divide is sport-bikes for young fellers, and cruisers for not-so-young fellers.

Take your time, look at lots of bikes, ask motorcyclists about their bikes. Also, most of the major bike mags put out buyer's guides this time of year with specs all the makes and models.

This concludes the fatherly advice segement of todays programming.
Have fun, and ride safely, and buy a GOOD helmet thet FITS PROPERLY from an established motorcycle store, avoid the big-box stuff.