View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogal View Post
I judge my accel on location and how heavy traffic is...

If the distance between lights is long, I will accel faster to get to a good cruzin' speed. Shorter distance between lights, slower accel.

And as always, I judge all that with how heavy traffic is...
I've found that on a diesel engine accelerating (specifically my 1982 6.2ltr diesel suburban) the slower I accelerate the better my MPG, I can get 20mpg in town with that rig. (which is within 1mpg of the highway)

On gasoline engines it REALLY varies, my buick gets better accelerating slowly, at least when its not bloody cold, my Dodge crew cab is abysmal but generally I need to get out of 1 asap 2nd rapid but controlled, 3rd slow and steady.

What I've found on the Dodge is that the 1st and 2nd gear you start accelerating slow and then ramp up to get out of the gear, basically the lower the RPM the less throttle you use but you have to try to get out of 1st and 2nd relatively quickly or your FE really really sucks. So I am saying your throttle level is variable in any given gear under acceleration.

Good Luck, Its more complicated than many make it seem, and I've found if I just accelerate slowly through all the gears my FE sucks.