View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I rather like the 3 speed, honestly. The 41TE is electronically controlled, whereas my transmission still has bands in it, that I can freely adjust and play with to my heart's content. All in all, the swap over to a 41TE might get me a few MPG's, but chances are, it will cost me way more than it's worth.

Also, the swap would be counter-intuitive for me, since the 41TE is mated to the 3.3 and 3.8 engines, and the sensors that they use. I'd be going for 1/2 again the engine I already have.

In sticking w/ the 2.4 engine, I have several more economical options to switch up with. I could swap down to the 2.0 (420a) engine, I could step up and mate a SRT-4 drivetrain to the van, I could do an auto-manual swap, I can rebuild the transmission to several other gear ranges and final drive ratios, I can install LSD in the transmission, I can utilize the auto transmission and a manual valve body setup, employ TC lockup in every gear, etc. (earlier caravans had options for Turbo/intercooling AND manual transmissions.)

First things first, I have to get a decent baseline set down for the kind of mileage I get driving like I would drive anything else...