View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Not sure I'd spray Simple Green in the engine bay. It softens some polymers. RC vehicle guys soak tires in SG to make them softer and gripper.
I don't really see an issue... you're not just randomly squirting SG all over the place, you're concentrating a 20:1 (or weaker, it's pretty powerful stuff) mixture at the areas that actually NEED to be cleaned... you can clean soot, grease and oil off the hood/sheet metal surfaces/painted surfaces with as little as 100:1 mixtures of SG/Water. It's not like anything is "soaking" in it for any length of time... you're rinsing it right back off in most places.

There is an SG for automotive purposes, if you're truly scared to use the real stuff... although I'm pretty sure it's the same thing with a different label.

Anyway, a simple google search will yield 100 or so dead-on results showing proper method, tips/tricks, and other parts of cars that have been successfully cleaned with SG, some people have used it for years and years (myself included, since I got my first car, almost 10 years ago) without any problems at all.