View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #41 (permalink)
malibuguy
MPG...what?

Terkle - '97 Toyota Tercel Whitehawk
90 day: 40.91 mpg (US)

Bubble - '10 Toyota Yaris base
90 day: 41.88 mpg (US)

Deva - '13 Chevrolet Spark LS
90 day: 39.82 mpg (US)

Malibu5 - '82 Chevrolet Malibu Classic
90 day: 17.61 mpg (US)

Highlander - '06 Toyota Highlander Limited
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to malibuguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I rather like the 3 speed, honestly. The 41TE is electronically controlled, whereas my transmission still has bands in it, that I can freely adjust and play with to my heart's content. All in all, the swap over to a 41TE might get me a few MPG's, but chances are, it will cost me way more than it's worth.

Also, the swap would be counter-intuitive for me, since the 41TE is mated to the 3.3 and 3.8 engines, and the sensors that they use. I'd be going for 1/2 again the engine I already have.

In sticking w/ the 2.4 engine, I have several more economical options to switch up with. I could swap down to the 2.0 (420a) engine, I could step up and mate a SRT-4 drivetrain to the van, I could do an auto-manual swap, I can rebuild the transmission to several other gear ranges and final drive ratios, I can install LSD in the transmission, I can utilize the auto transmission and a manual valve body setup, employ TC lockup in every gear, etc. (earlier caravans had options for Turbo/intercooling AND manual transmissions.)

First things first, I have to get a decent baseline set down for the kind of mileage I get driving like I would drive anything else...
the 41te is also in 4cylinder stratus' & i think a few neons got them too, they have a shorter final drive gearing to better match the torque output of the 4cyl...i popular mod for the v6 guys is to run the 4cyl final drive to get shorter gearing...i don't care for it, my van did 35 in first, 65ish in 2nd...& the fastest i ever went was 120...in 3rd @ 5200rpm...i never got it to go in fourth @ WOT...the torque converter locks up at around 80mph/4200rpm in 3rd @ WOT

if i ever get another van, i plan to swap in the 5-speed from the 2.7stratus GTC & have awesomness

-06 Highlander 3.3awd
-10 Yaris sedan
-97 Tercel, 1NZfe swapped
-96 Tercel
-82 Malibu 1UZfe swapped
-19 Fit (wifey ride)

www.pipedreamsfab.com