View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
metroschultz
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
[1]
You misunderstood the "cover" I mentioned, for as mentioned, it goes on the CRANKSHAFT to cover the oil hole and to provide better balance. What I have in mind is to get a few junkyard rods and cut 'em off at the big end, and bolt that onto the crank. What I'm wrestling with right now is, should they be free-spinning (depends on if they'll hit the block) or indexed and solidly bolted on? I guess I can't answer that until I have it disassembled, with parts in hand.
[2]
"BUT, the problem also resides in hot/cool spots with operations vs. dummy cylinder areas. Coolant has a tough time regulating bores with no combustion and hot spots with where the action is conducted."

I don't believe you. Neither do any of the manufacturers that offer cylinder deac from the factory.
[3]
YOUR ECU screwed up because your "deactivated" cyls were still pumping air into the exhaust stream. John and I are talking about REAL deactivation -maybe ours should be called "decommissioning"- no air being pumped, no fuel being squirted, no pistons going up and down. O2 and ECU function should be "normal" then... unless the TPS being open wider throws something askew.
[1] Why would you want the extra weight spinning on the shaft?
wouldn't that create a parasitic load or even an off balance situation?
I would opt for a small core plug or maybe drive a solid pin all the way through.

[2] You don't believe the coolant would use the empty holes as heat sinks?
I read an old manual when I was in the Army, that gave instructions and part #'s for the conversion of 4cyl jeep into 2cyl run and 2cyl pump to build an air compressor.
Very neat idea. I am sure someone in the Pentagon thought about the heating and cooling factors.

[3] No extra air means the o2 reads right.

Have fun.S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein