View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
NoCO2
Bicycle Junky

Putsaround - '96 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

The Commuter - '07 Trek 1000SL
90 day: 617.28 mpg (US)

Zippy - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Removing components off engine belt.

I had an idea earlier today and I just want to see your opinions on the feasibility of this mod and what kind of advantages I might see from it.

I am thinking of buying a solar panel and mounting it on either the roof or trunk of my car to replace my alternator as the source of power to recharge the battery. My main question is, what kind of improvements in engine efficiency would I see from removing that off the belt, but keeping the A/C and Heat (I can't do that much surgery). The other question is, how effective do you think it would be at charging the battery and how long do you think the battery would last if a solar panel was connected. That last question actually builds on this one though, how strong of a solar panel would I need to get? Just a 12V one or is there a certain Amperage I should look for?

I am just trying to get an idea here of how doable this is, nothing really set in stone or committed to it yet. Any advice/help/information that you guys can give me would be very helpful.

Thanks.