View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #40 (permalink)
Nevyn
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Kingerson's what where I planned on ordering from, and the Amcor was my plan too. I'll post the link again, if it doesn't get you to the "House!" photos PM me and I'll direct link you.

Picasa Web Albums - Nevyn - House!

We're highly serious about this. My wife and I agree that we *NEED* to do something to reduce what we spend on oil, and this looks to be the best bet.

I have no trouble doing, well, just about anything for a home. I grew up in a DIY house, and with an extended family that gave me all the opportunities a boy could wish for (My mom's side runs a farm - and they have a sawmill + full woodworking shop, AND a full machine shop for equipment repairs). I have no problems with household wiring, piping, plumbing, ducting, etc.

We are looking to use the mini-split for several reasons:

1. Save money by buying less oil.

2. Provide an alternate source to the oil furnace for maintaining the temperature of the main two rooms downstairs (rest of the house is not important). The furnace will boost the temperature once in the mornings throughout the whole house, and then be turned back down and the mini-split will heat only the rooms that are occupied.

3. Provide small to moderate cooling in the summer. We're not looking for something that will cool 90 down to 70, but for something that would be able to take 85 down to 75 in the "main occupancy rooms."