View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #32 (permalink)
rmccomiskie
EcoModding Lurker

Ziggy - '95 Audi S6 Sedan

Manfred - '97 Audi A6 Quattro Sedan
90 day: 20.61 mpg (US)

Clarabell - '03 Audi A4 Quattro Avant

Sherman - '98 Audi A6 Quattro Avant

Cab - '96 Audi Cabriolet
Hi yetimus,

Quote:
...I did, however, play around with the preset parameters and changed "Injector Delay uS" from its default setting to 100. IIRC, the default setting was 500 and I somewhat randomly chose 100 uS based on the oscilloscope graphs you posted showing much shorter pulses from the ECU...
I'm not sure that the Injector Delay uS is needed with the ECU signal. It's possible that the ECU factors out the injector settling time and presents a pure fuel flow signal. I'll be experimenting with that soon. Hopefully, I can gather a lot of OScope data and graph the relationship of the injector and ECU signals. Perhaps the resulting curves can be extrapolated to show that the settling time is or is not included in the ECU signal.

Quote:
...I also didn't notice any strange behavior with the GPH value rising when coasting. It went to zero and stayed there - which is correct for the TDI because it cuts off all flow to the injectors when coasting in gear...
I'm surprised at that. Congratulations.

Quote:
...I recently installed an instrument cluster in my TDI that originally came in the VR6 Passat. The reason I did this is that the VR6 cluster has a built-in MPG gauge that displays average MPG (not instantaneous). The TDI, though it was never originally equipped with the factory MPG guage, obviously uses a nearly identical signal from the ECU as the gasoline powered car. Read more about it here...
Wow! That's an amazing read. It took a long time to figure all of that out. Similarly, my North American 97 Audi A6 did not come with a trip computer. The rest of the world got it but not us. And to add insult, the NA wiring harness doesn't include the connector for the wiper stalk switches. I'm sure that the instrument cluster itself has all of the TC functionality but the lack of any wiring makes a retrofit a big deal.

So, that's why I'm pursuing the MPGuino. My ultimate plan is to install a wiper stalk with switches from a 96-97 A4 (lots around) and fabricate a small LCD display that fits into the instrument cluster in the trip computer location. There's not much room in there so I'll have to use a scavenged cellphone display interfaced externally to the MPGuino. Time will tell whether this all works. In the mean time, it's fun!

I'm glad to see someone else is tackling Audi issues. This thread is a good place to share experiences so other Audi-heads can find us.

Cheers.

Bob.