View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #212 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
From what I have read, a 10% reduction in Cd will result in around 5 % rise in F.E. .

Since the AeroCivic started out as a 5th gen. Civic CX hatch, the Cd would have been .31 stock.

Since the car now has a DX engine in it, the EPA figures for a DX would be 42 MPG highway using the old EPA method.

Since your motor has so many miles on it now, your actually highway mileage might be closer to 40 MPG highway.

Since you decreased your Cd down to ".17 ", you reduced your drag by around 55 % .

If I am understanding the math correctly, that means an 11 MPG improvement from your aero mods.

Is there some formula that I am missing, because it looks as if the car would not be able to do better than 55-60 MPG.

I'm asking because of the statement that you made about getting 95 MPG :

" 95 mpg is what I typically get while driving at a constant speed from 30 to 65 mph on a flat road in 80 degree F temperatures with well broken-in tires "

With the engine running, the gas pedal pressed down, and the car in gear, what is your mileage on a level stretch of road ?

I have a hell of a lot of respect for what you have done to the car, but I'm really confused about how that you can get that car to achieve 95 MPG on a level stretch of road with no hypermiler tricks being used.

Thanks ! You are an inspiration to us all.