View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
energy0uth
cheap yet balla

buster - '97 JEEP Grand Cherokee LTD
Send a message via AIM to energy0uth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneburg View Post

1. Would it be advisable to show up with no money and then if I decide to buy the car, I would ask them to complete the transaction at my bank where I can withdraw the money to purchase the car?

2. I think it might be be a good idea to schedule a meeting at a public place that is convenient to the owner so I can look the car over and do a test drive. Maybe the parking lot of the bank.

3. Do you all have any advice on what to look for as far as signs of trouble with the car itself? I'd like to show up with a checklist of things to look for in order of priority.

4. Will I receive the keys and the title right when I purchase the car and drive away? Or do I have to inform someone that I now own this car? I assume I have to inform the DMV and my insurance company.

Wayneburg
1. What you want to do hands down is bring cash with you and a friend. Lets say they want 4k for the car. Go in to the deal thinking to pay 3k because there is always something you can tear down to make a better deal. Not to be a dick but it's how I do it.

The kid who brought me my JEEP wanted 2800 I only paid 2300. I told him I would have to get the tint taken off then have it inspected, etc. Thing is I know how to remove tint and my friend has a shop and inspects for me so it made no difference but amazingly it was the only thing I could really point out. The JEEP is in amazing condition.

What I am saying is don't let them beat you on the price since you don't know much. Don't let them feed you bs. Hence why you need someone knowledgeable with you. CASH TALKS and it really talks when you tell someone I want it but I only have this much...If they really wanted to sell and they drove to see you then they might just sell it to you cheap

2. Do the meeting in a public place close to your home so that you know the vehicle can make the drive to where you need it to and that way your test drive goes smooth because it helps to know where you are and also make sure to test all gears, hard turns, braking, etc.

3. Bring a friend who knows something about cars, etc. Check every inch of it for any rust, body damage, frame damage, holes in exhaust, leaking fluids, discoloration in coolant or any fluids, all lights work...I could go on and on but you get the picture. If you want a full list let me know and I can help you out no problem

4. Yes. You will have the titled signed by the seller and co-seller if there is one on the title. Not sure of your age but be sure that if you are a plan with say your parents that they sign as the buyer and you as co-buyer and that will get your discount. You will then have to go to your DMV and get the title in your name and tags after it is inspected.