View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #56 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Sounds like something I'd buy! Oh wait, mine has airbags - it's overqualified.
Sweet, we're up to 2 buyers!

Seriously though, for some reason even though it's completely legal to make, sell, and drive a 2 wheeled deathmobile (as it should be! ) with no safety features whatsoever....

It's not legal to sell a production vehicle with four wheels that doesn't have 500 lbs (and $5000 worth) of safety equipment that a car 30 years ago didn't have.

Here's an example that I just have to laugh at.. my sister spent "forever and a day" shopping for her most recent car purchase, poring over the safety statistics of every car sold and insisting that safety was paramount. She disqualified all sorts of cars based on their relative "safety ratings"

Then she bought a '70 mustang because a good deal came up and she wanted it.

Not that the '70 mustang is an unsafe car... but it's certainly nowhere near as protective of its occupants as any modern equivalent. It barely has shoulder belts, and only in front.

We SHOULD have the option of buying/selling brand new, bare necessities cars. VW SHOULD be able to sell brand new, old style VW beetles - with smog updates of course - why not? I just think it's bones-down retarded that it's legal to sell motorcycles but not legal to sell a car that isn't bloated full of superfluous fat and blubber.