View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #480 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
2/3rds of the way done soldering mosfets. The copper pad for the gate on the PCB comes off when soldering (glue melts) things to it. Fortunately, the gate is a very low power part of the mosfet. 2 resistors also need to be soldered to the gate, so since I can't really effectively use the copper, I'll use the resistor legs for that purpose. I'll also use a lower wattage soldering iron for the gate.

As I go along, I'm finding that there are several processes that can really be improved. The next controller will be much easier to assemble and a little better too.

I have the comparator portion of the control circuit done. Now I need to add the flipflop. I did a bunch with the software too, so that all the new numbers for the new components are taken into account, like current limiting and thermistor values. We also bought some plexiglass stuff from home depot and some aluminum angle iron (hehe iron). Maybe I shoudl just glue the plexiglass to the angle iron. I also bought some bolts for it, but I don't know.