View Single Post
Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 AM   #21 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
alohaspirit -

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaspirit View Post
I think this is a great mod cfg83

hope to see updates

(maybe I should splurge and get 2 pans)
Thanks, I literally took maybe a year of looking around for what was in my head. I mostly looked in plant nurseries at the plastic "dura cotta" saucers, but they only got as big as maybe 20" diameter. Then one day I gave the plumbing section a try in Home Depot, and there they were, looking at me, as if to say, "where have you been all this time"?

I also think that they can be a stepping stone for a bolder aero mod :

rear wheel skirts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
malibuguy -

I have been thinking that my mod is probably better as "infrastructure". If you look at the picture above, you could cut out the center and use the surrounding "frame" as a base to attach varying skirt designs :

(the dots would be fastener locations)

The cool part is that the skirts could be attached with "quick release" connectors like dzus fasteners. You would have full access to the tire and you could more easily try different wheel skirt designs.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr....asp?RecID=758

I think that doing this would also negate the problem I cited in post #13 above, because cutting out the middle of the drain pan would make it more flexible to fitting in "close-but-no-cigar" wheel-wells.

Cutting out the middle is based on jthistle's idea of using a wheel flare as a "base" for a wheel skirt :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...kirt-4504.html

However, I think the drain pan is a better "base" for mounting wheel skirts because you don't have to deal with the "curve" of the fender flare (hard to describe). You just have to mount the cover on a uniform "flat" surface. If I was more bold, I would make a cover for mine that looks something like this outline :

CarloSW2

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_skirt_mod.c8.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	2827  

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
NachtRitter (06-17-2010)