View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
From my short looking around on the subject it seems like AC has a wider power curve so it can put out good power higher up in the rpm range. Where DC goes down pretty consistently from peak torque at 0rpm. This gives you a much wider usable rpm range compared to a dc motor. So for example the motor I have I think has a workable range of 0-4000 and it actually has a good bit of power at 4000.

Plus you could do neat stuff with your own controller like mess with the timing so you could effectively have variable timing on the motor. A DC motor you have to rotate the brushes to change timing. I am not sure that would help anything but it is a possibility with an AC motor.

For regen, a DC motor is a generator so it puts out a voltage based on the shaft RPM so it needs a DC-DC converter and other junk to boost the voltage to something that can charge the pack and is generally not going to get you much extra power. AC motors are an alternator so you just adjust the field current to vary the voltage output so they can generate high voltages even at low RPM.