View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
IheartGeos
EcoModding Lurker

The Geo - '89 Geo Metro
90 day: 46.93 mpg (US)
Modifying an 89 Geo Transmission

Background: Bought a 1989 Geo Metro, rebuilt the engine (I also painted it for extra hp!) and now it's a hoot to drive. Only problem was the third gear was tricky to get into -- push it in and press up-and-left -- and I can't downshift into third. Then I noticed the clutch was slipping -- it looked alright when I put the engine back in, that and I can't get one for under $200 made me decide to wing it. And, last but not least, both the CV joints are bad, and '89 joints are hard to come by. I replaced the worst one, and the transmission oil came out looking like mercury! Bad sign!

Now: Thinking ahead to the summer (when I am out of school for a while) and finally being able to work on the Geo, I had an idea: '89 parts are hard to come by, and Geo parts are fairly modular, so why not slap a '94 transmission, clutch, and CV joints on instead?

Anybody see a problem with that? I am already probably replacing the transmission because the third gear issue, and I need new parts all the way to the wheels, so why not?

Then, I was thinking, I thought I heard somewhere that there is a slightly different transmission you can put in, one that is a little stronger. Any ideas?