View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Southcross
Manic Rabbit

Slow-n-Low - '81 Volkswagen Rabbit S
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn D. View Post
Do you think that a minuscule increase in CR is going to increase MPG enough to offset the cost of the gaskets and the timing belt (yes, you will have to replace that)?

Do you have an adjustable cam gear? If not, you'll be slightly retarding the cam, which is worse for MPG.
I've done enough engines to be aware that if the camshaft is closer to the crankshaft that it retards valve timing With the HG I looking at purchasing its only a change of -.86 degrees. The shift in power band won't be that significant. Combined with the camshaft I'm looking at (Euro Spec Cam), peak power happens so early that shifting it a little higher in the RPM range will help with highway driving. I'd have to check my storage unit... I have like 3 or 4 aftermarket camshafts laying around, not sure if I have any spare cam gears though (proverbial dime a dozen though)

even if the increase in r/c doesn't yield an equally significant increase in MPG... should increase the power output into the "fun level". Considering the same engine (Euro spec) with 2pts more pts of compression yields 30-35 more HP (also has larger valves, but not significantly larger). An increase of only 10hp over the present engine, especially at this altitude, is rather significant.