View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
derangedhermit
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
a 250 is overkill for keeping up with traffic, even with a tall ratio. I guarantee that speed and acceleration and weight has gotten far more bikers into trouble than out of it. Guarantee it!

Of course it is fun to have lots of power, but it makes the newbies go splat sooner and the experienced ones don't need it to stay out of trouble. The name of the game here is mpg, not misinformed safety school. Most folks looking in would wonder why ride a bike at all if safety is a concern. It just kills me when the safety crud gets brought up as an excuse to use an oversized bike, or any other road tank. It is completely bogus.
I agree with most of what you are saying, but you are mainly talking about something different than I am. I think the power available in an 600cc I4 sport bike, or worse, any "liter bike", is absurd and dangerous for legal street riding. They all make 120-150 hp, and weigh 400-500 lbs. Add a rider. So you get a 750 lb motorcycle making 150 hp, for a weight-to-power ratio of 5 lbs per hp. F-I-V-E. If that's what you are talking about, I agree.

The Honda Accord has a weight-to-power ratio of about 18, the Civic (base engine) about 20, and the Fit about 22 (higher is slower). I suggested 20 as a floor, and 15 as very good / preferred. No FIVEs anywhere.

Wanting a motorcycle to accelerate as well as a stock Civic is not bogus, it is not misinformed, and it is not an excuse for misbehavior.