View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Raysp30
EcoModding Lurker

SaturnSl1 - '00 Saturn SL1
90 day: 40.21 mpg (US)

MyPickup - '96 Ford Ranger

CRX HF - '89 Honda CRX HF
90 day: 51.59 mpg (US)
Improving on the W/HAI

It's been a few months since I've posted anything. I guess I haven't been quite as enthused about MPG due to the winter and cheaper gas.

I read this post earlier in the week and started thinking about how I could improve on the HAI that I already have in my Saturn. Current set up has all of the airbox and tubing fully insulated and then has extra plumbing (2 or 3 2 inch 90 degree elbows) set up to pull in air from the exhaust manifold. On average this would boost the air temp to 25-40 degrees over ambiant.

Although the idea of a small heater core is really neat, and simple, I thought I'd copy a couple other people and install a heat shield on the end of my tubing to isolate where the heat was being pulled from. Now the only air that can come in is hot. Scanguage has the air temp at 150-160 once the car is warmed up. Big difference in MPG already.

I also have a permanent grill block in place, along with a partial belly pan, so there isn't too much cool air coming into the engine bay. I'll try and post pictures sometime this weekend of the setup.